Lemon Ricotta Cheese Stuffed French Toast Crepes with Vanilla Stewed Strawberries.
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour or regular flour
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
4 whole eggs, divided
1/2 lemon, zest or more to your taste
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
pinch of salt
butter, for the pan
Vanilla Stewed Strawberries
3 cups strawberries, quartered
2-4 tablespoons honey, depending on your tastes
1/4 cup water
1 vanilla bean, seed removed
- Add butter to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk constantly until brown bits appear on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes, then immediately remove from heat and set aside. Combine all the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add the browned butter and pulse for 30 seconds or until well combined. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.
- Heat a 12 inch non-stick pan. Add butter or cooking spray (I like to use cooking spray) to coat. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. Makes about 10 crepes.
To assemble the French Toast Crepes
- In a medium bowl stir together the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1 egg, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth. You may want to use a hand mixer for quicker mixing.
- Lay a crepe flat on the counter and spread 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture on the end 1/3 of the crepe. Roll the crepe up and place it in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining crepes and ricotta filling.
- In a bowl whisk together the milk, 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, cinnamon (if using) and a pinch of salt. Pour the egg mixture over the crepes and turn the crepes so that all the egg mixture is covering the crepes. At this point, you can cover the dish and place it in the fridge overnight or continue on.
- Melt 2 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2-4 crepes to the skillet. Cook until bottoms are deep brown, 2 to 3 minutes, turn and repeat on the other side. I turned my crepes about 3 times per crepe. Divide the French Toast Crepes among plates and serve with coconut whipped cream and the vanilla stewed strawberries (below). Dust with powdered sugar and SERVE warm!
Vanilla Stewed Strawberries
- Add the strawberries, honey, water and vanilla bean seeds + the reserved pod to a medium size sauce pot. Place the pot on the stove over medium high heat and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon scoop out the strawberries, leaving the liquid in the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil and boil until it reduces to about 1/3 or 1/4 cup. Turn the heat off and add the strawberries. Serve warm with the crepes.