Toasted crusty bread spread with lemon-scented ricotta and topped with ripe strawberries, fresh basil, and honey.
- 8 slices crusty white bread, like French or Italian, toasted
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- several small basil leaves (or larger basil leaves, thinly sliced)
- In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread each slice of toasted bread with a generous smear of the ricotta mixture. Layer strawberry slices over top of the ricotta, followed by basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with honey. Serve.
A few drops of aged balsamic vinegar would be a nice addition.