Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 8 Servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-ounces) dark red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
- ½-teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- ¼-teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- ½-teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 can (10-ounces) Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-Blend Cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- fresh lime juice
- fresh parsley or fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in beans; season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans have softened.
- Remove from heat, and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the beans until they resemble chunky mashed potatoes. Set aside.
If you want smoother beans, return to heat and add ¼-cup water; simmer until beans are thick and of spreading consistency. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Break eggs and gently slide into skillet, one at a time. (In my skillet, I can fit about 4 eggs at a time.)
- Reduce heat to low and cook slowly until whites are completely firm and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Carefully slide a spatula under each egg and flip; Cook until desired doneness. Add more olive oil as needed.
- Evenly divide and spread prepared beans on warmed tortillas and top with cooked eggs.
- Add diced tomatoes & green chilies over the eggs.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add diced avocados and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each prepared taco.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro.