Hearty Vegetarian Vegetable Stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 medium carrot, minced
1 medium stalk celery, minced
1 medium red onion, chopped medium
9 medium portobello mushrooms (about 1 and 1/4 pounds), stems discarded, caps halved and then sliced 1/2 inch thick
10 ounces white mushrooms, stems trimmed and mushrooms halved
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup white wine
2 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
4 large carrots (about one pound), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium red potatoes (about 1 and 1/2 pounds), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add the minced onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the red onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the portobello and button mushrooms, raise the heat to medium-high, and sauté until the liquid the release has been evaporated, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add the wine, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pot.
7. Cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
8. Add the stock, salt, tomatoes, bay leaf, carrots, and potatoes, and bring to a boil.
9. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes.
10. Mix the cornstarch and with water to form a smooth paste.
11. Stir the paste into the stew and cook until the liquid thickens, 1 to 2 minutes.
12. Turn off the heat, stir in the peas, cover, and let stand until the peas are hot, 3 to 4 minutes.
13. Stir in the parsley and balsamic vinegar, discard the bay leaf, and adjust the seasonings. Serve immediately.