Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
If you are using the leftover cooked beef from your brown stock, skip step 2 of this recipe and add the cooked beef at the end (in step 9). Additionally the cooking time in Step 7 may be reduced to 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chuck beef cut into small pieces (or use the cooked beef that is leftover from making your brown stock)
- 1 cup onions diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- ½ cup leeks diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 6-ounce cans of V-8 juice
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 quarts brown stock (see recipe here),or canned beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomato
- 1 cup cabbage chopped
- ½ cup white turnip diced
- ½ cup green beans roughly chopped
- 1 cup white potato diced
- 3 ounce baby spinach
- 1 11-ounce can kernel corn drained
- 1 14-ounce can white beans drained and rinsed
- Salt as needed
- Pepper as needed
- In a 10-quart pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Place beef in oil and sear on all sides. Do not crowd pan so cook in batches.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and leeks and sauté for 3-5 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook an additional minute then add dried thyme.
- Add V-8 and red wine to deglaze pan. Cook for one additional minute scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Add brown stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook for one hour.
- Add diced tomatoes, cabbage, turnip and green beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potato, spinach, corn and white beans and bring back to a boil. Simmer for five more minutes or until potato is cooked.
- Adjust with salt and pepper if needed.