Goat Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (yams), about 2 large, peeled and grated on a large holed box grater
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat sour cream
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 5 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Cut parchment paper in a circle the diameter of the bottom and another to fit the sides of the pan (one circle and one long rectangle). Line the pan with the parchment, pressing into the butter to adhere. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the side and bottom parchment layers. Set aside.
- Add the grated sweet potatoes to a large piece of cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel. Gather corners together and squeeze out excess water over the sink. You may need to do this in stages.
- Add the squeezed potatoes to a large bowl. In another small bowl whisk together 1 egg, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper & a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Pour over sweet potatoes and toss lightly to coat. Press into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Turn oven down to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add 11 eggs, sour cream, goat cheese, green onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Before adding the eggs to the crust, press the sides of the crust carefully to adhere back to the springform pan if they have sagged. Add the egg mixture without overfilling beyond the crust. Bake 30 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 degrees F and bake 30 minutes. Rotate the pan an continue cooking 15 minutes more. The center may still be giggle a little, but will set as it cools. Allow to rest 20 minutes before serving.
Read more at http://www.farmgirlgourmet.com/2013/03/goat-cheese-quiche-with-sweet-potato.html#d0ZELsioC42wA0y8.99