GARLIC, SPINACH & MUSHROOM MELT
- For the Mushrooms:
- 1-1.5 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 ounces mushrooms (shiitake, button, cremini, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- For the Mushroom Melt:
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
- red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 slices bread (hearty wheat/seedy/whole grain bread is the bomb)
- For the Mushrooms: Melt the butter in a large skillet (mine is nonstick) over low heat. Peel the garlic and crush it with the flat side of your knife, then slice it into strips. Add to the butter and cook over LOW HEAT for about 2 minutes. (It should not brown. If it does, the heat is too high.)
- Wash the mushrooms and slice them into ⅛-1/4 inch slices. Add to skillet, and stir to coat with butter, then spread out. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Stir and cook 5 minutes more. Increase the heat to about medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes to brown the mushrooms.
- Finally, add a splash of soy sauce (about 2 teaspoons). Stir well and cook for just another 30-60 seconds. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- For the Mushroom Melt: Combine the spinach with the mushrooms and sauté just until the spinach has wilted. Place in a bowl and mix with the shredded cheese and cayenne or red pepper flakes.
- Stovetop: Melt the 1 Tablespoon butter in the skillet and place two pieces of bread in the skillet. Top with the mushroom-spinach-cheese mixture and the other two slices of bread. Grill for a couple of minutes, until the bread has gotten dark and crispy. Flip and cook the other side another few minutes. Remove from heat, slice in half, and serve!
- Toaster: Top two slices of bread with the mushroom-spinach-cheese mixture and place in toaster (maybe on a toaster sheet to avoid spillage). Place the other two slices of bread in the toaster as well. Toast on about medium for 4-8 minutes. Every toaster is different so be sure to check your bread often! Close up the sandwiches, cut in half, and serve.