Skinny Mushroom Spinach Lasagna
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Serves: 12 pieces
A super filling meal that’s completely vegetarian friendly! This spinach lasagna is loaded with chopped mushrooms, ricotta cheese, and whole wheat lasagna noodles. It’s the perfect dish to serve to vegetarians for Thanksgiving! And don’t be surprised when the carnivores love it just as much!
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 – 10z packages frozen or fresh spinach, defrosted + water squeezed out
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 30 oz non-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, prepared (see note)*
- 24 ounces [url href=”http://littlespicejar.com/homemade-marinara-sauce-slow-cooker/” target=”_blank”]homemade[/url] or store-bought marinara sauce
- 2 cups part skim – mozzarella cheese*
- Option - add 1 pound of Italian Turkey Sausage (ground up in skillet and add to the sauce mixture)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté them for 2 minutes or until they start to just become translucent. Add the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, spinach, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Sauté for just a minute or so until all the ingredients are well mixed together. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, and parmesan cheese. Add the spinach mixture to the ricotta and stir to combine.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread a little bit of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Layer with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the spinach mixture, 1/3 of the tomato sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat until all the layers are formed. Ending with noodles, sauce, and cheese. Bake covered for 20 minutes and then uncovered for 10 more minutes. Let stand for 10-15 minutes so that the lasagna noodles can soak up all the extra deliciousness. Cut and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 piece Calories: 245 Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 4g Protein: 15g
[i]For the lasagna noodles: I under-boiled mine because I didn’t want them to get super soft during baking. My package called for 9 minutes for cooked, I boiled mine for just 5 minutes.[br]Additional tomato sauce, cheese, and lasagna noodles can be added to preference. Feel free to make more layers in the lasagna with additional lasagna noodles if you like more layers.[/i]