Egg, Ham and Cheese Crepe Pockets
These are delicious and packed with protein to keep you feeling satisfied. They are also freezer friendly and kids love them!
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Medium
Cost To Make: $8-$12
Serving: 10-12 Breakfast Crepe Pockets
- Ingredients for Crepes:
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 cup milk, any kind
- 4 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted. Plus more to sauté.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (you can use ½ cup whole wheat flour and ½ cup all-purpose)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of Salt
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1-2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- ⅓ lb Good quality deli ham, cut into strips
- 10 large eggs scrambled with 4 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 8 oz medium cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Perfect Crepes:
- In the bowl of a blender, combine all ingredients for crepes in the order listed. Blend until smooth (1 min). Scrape down the sides with a spatula if you see any flour clinging to the walls of your blender.
- Over medium/low heat, melt a dot of butter in a good non-stick skillet Add batter and quickly swirl to cover the bottom (about 3-4 Tbsp for a medium pan or 5-6 Tbsp for a large pan). Fill in any gaps with more batter as needed. Saute until golden on each side (1 min per side) then place on a cutting board to cool. Once crepes are at room temp, they can be stacked.
How to Assemble Breakfast Crepe Pockets:
- Melt ½ Tbsp butter in a large non-stick pan and saute your scrambled eggs. Cook until fluffy and still somewhat moist. Set aside to cool.
- Brush one side of a crepe lightly with dijon mustard, place a generous pinch of shredded cheese in the center then top with ham, eggs and more cheese. Fold the top over and tuck it under the egg slightly. Fold in the sides and roll to close. Repeat with remaining crepes.
- To serve right away, saute in butter 3 min per side over med/low heat until golden brown on both sides and warmed through. Serve plain or with diced tomatoes, avocado and hot sauce.
Freezing and Thawing Instructions:
- To freeze, wrap each pocket in parchment paper then place in a freezer safe bag. Before serving, thaw in the fridge or microwave in a single layer on high 1 to 2 min for 2-4 pockets just until thawed, then saute in butter over med/low heat 3 min per side.
NotesDon't use a nonstick pan that is scratched up and looking like it should be retired for camping use. Also, the first crepe always turns out ugly for me - I'm not sure why, so don't panic and consider this your taste test!
Its ok to freeze without the parchment paper but you have to keep them in a single row, do not stack without parchment paper.