Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Baking & Spices
Bread & Baked Goods
||Puff pastry, frozen
- In a double boiler over simmering water or a small heavy saucepan, constantly whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard until mixture begins to thicken and reaches 160°.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in cayenne. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ham and onions in butter until onions are tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to the pan; cook and stir until set. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup reserved hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each sheet into a 12-in. x 9-1/2-in. rectangle; cut each in half widthwise. Place 1 cup egg mixture on half of each rectangle; sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat egg and water; brush over pastry edges. Bring an opposite corner of pastry over the egg mixture; pinch seams to seal. With a small sharp knife, cut several slits in the top.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining hollandaise sauce. Sprinkle with tarragon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.