This healthy soup is very versatile. Add diced zucchini or fresh corn off the cob for additional healthy veggies. You can also substitute a 28-ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes in place of fresh if desired.
- 4 large summer tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 32-ounce box reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 hatch chiles, roasted, stemmed and seeded
- 4 cups shredded chicken (or as much as one whole rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- toppings: sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, avocado
- Preheat broiler. Slice tomatoes in half then place cut side down onto baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the skins are starting to blacken.
- Preheat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil then add onions, cooking for about five minutes or until starting to soften. Add garlic and cumin, cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes and their juices to pan. Pour in chicken broth and stir well. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, then blend mixture well with a hand blender (alternatively you can pour mixture into a blender in batches then pour back into pot). Stir in shredded chicken and roasted chiles. Allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and ladle into soup bowls. Add toppings as desired and serve immediately.