Chicken, Green Chile and Potato Pie
- 1 package unbaked pie shells (2 pie shells total)
- 5 eggs (four whole eggs and one yolk, reserve egg white from fifth egg)
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped (or 2 cans diced green chiles)
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (rotisserie works great for this)
- 2 cups shredded mexican-blend or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Beat eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk in cream and milk. Add green chiles, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Add potatoes in one flat layer, then chicken and cheese. Pour chile-egg mixture carefully over the top (the pie pan will be very full), taking care to ensure that the green chiles are spread evenly over the top.
- Top with second pie crust (a lattice style is easy and looks pretty) and brush with reserved egg white. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until egg and potatoes are cooked through (top with foil halfway through baking if crust gets too browned).
- Allow pie to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into pieces and serve.