Chicken and Waffle Sliders with Honey Mustard
Author: Sarcastic Cooking
Recipe type: Sandwich/Entree
Serves: Makes 7-9 Sliders
- For the Waffles:
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 ¾ Cup Skim Milk, at room temperature
- 5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- For the Chicken:
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 3rds
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Cups Finely Ground Corn Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the vanilla, egg, milk, and butter. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until lump free and combined. Set off to the side for at least ten minutes to rest.
- Now bread the chicken. Add the corn flakes along with some salt and pepper to a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the buttermilk mixture, drain off the excess, toss in the cornflakes top coat, and then place on the wire rack. Continue until all pieces are breaded. Bake chicken in the oven for 35 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, make the waffles.
- Heat the waffle iron until it is hot. Add about three tablespoons of batter to the hot waffle iron to make one side of the slider. You will want to make at least two mini waffles at a time. Cook the waffles for about 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Add waffles to some tin foil and wrap to keep warm. Continue that process until you have two mini waffles for each piece of chicken.
- Best eaten on day they are made. Chicken can be reheated in the oven along with the mini waffles to make sure they stay crispy.