WHAT YOU NEED:
- cilantro lime rice (recipe here)
- gluten-free corn tortillas (or whole wheat pita)
For the chicken & taco seasoning:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- juice of half a lime
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp flour
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ pepper
- ¼ cayenne powder
For toppings (all optional):
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced jalapeños
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
- Prepare the chicken. In a small bowl, combine dry spices and stir to mix. In a large bowl, combine the chicken with oil, lime, and add the taco seasoning. Coat chicken, cover, and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Cook the rice according to this cilantro lime rice recipe.
- Grill chicken on medium/high heat, about 4 min per side, depending on thickness of chicken. Be sure centre of chicken is not pink and do not over-cook. Set aside and slice vertically for desired thickness.
- You can warm the pita bread in the oven at 350 for 3-5 minutes, if desired. Top pitas with chicken, rice, black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Try not to overload with toppings as it will be hard to roll the pita afterwards. Fold the bottom of the pita up, and the left and right sides across. Use a toothpick to hold in place. Serve.
- You may wrap them in foil and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.