Cheesy Crab Tartlets
These tartlets are perfect as party nibbles. They are easy to make and taste fantastic. Scone dough is pressed into tartlet tins and filled with a creamy cheese and crab filling.
Makes: 12 tartlets
- 465g plain scone mix, blended with 215ml milk to form a scone dough
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 1 (170g) tin crab meat, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 60g grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced spring onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch paprika
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Lightly grease 12 tartlet tins.
- Divide scone dough into 12 even-sized pieces. Press each piece into the prepared tins. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, crab, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, spring onions and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon 1 teaspoon of mixture into tartlets and garnish with paprika.
- Bake at 190 C / Gas 5 for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown. These freeze wonderfully. Just reheat before serving.
Crab Dip Tartlets
- 1cup cooked crabmeat or one 6-ounce can crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
- 1/2cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/2cup dairy sour cream
- 2tablespoons finely chopped red onion or green onion
- 1tablespoon snipped fresh dillweed or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel or lime peel
- 1teaspoon lemon juice or lime juice
- Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- Finely chopped red or green onion(optional)
- Assorted crackers and/or vegetable dippers
- In a small bowl stir together crab, mayonnaise, sour cream, the 2 tablespoons onion, the 1 tablespoon dill, the 1 teaspoon lemon peel, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, and, if desired, cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer dip to a serving dish. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours. If desired, garnish wtih finely chopped red or green onion. Serve with crackers or vegetable dippers. Makes about 1-1/3 cups (10 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare dip as above through step 1. Spoon dip into 30 miniature phyllo dough shells (two, 2.1-ounce packages). For a hot appetizer, place the 30 miniature phyllo dough shells on a large baking sheet. Spoon dip into phyllo shells. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through. If desired, garnish with finely shredded lemon peel and fresh dill sprigs.
Per tartlet: 62 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 8 mg chol., 52 mg sodium, 3 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 2 g protein. Daily Values: 1% vit. C, 1% calcium, 1% iron. Exchanges: 1 Fat