Bucatini with Lamb Ragu:
What it took for 4:
* 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 small white onion, diced
* 2 carrots, diced
* 2 stalks celery, diced
* 4 or 5 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 pound ground lamb
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp smoked paprika
* 1 pinch crushed red pepper
* 2 Tbs. tomato paste
* 2 Tbs. fresh thyme and rosemary leaves
* 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands in a bowl
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 Tbs. honey
* 1 pound bucatini
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
* freshly grated parmesan for garnish
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add the onions and sweat for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots and celery; sauté until they start to soften, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Throw in a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the lamb and cook until browned all over, maybe 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon, paprika, crushed red pepper, tomato paste and herbs. Toss until it’s all combined, a good couple of minutes. Smells insane already, huh?
Add the hand-crushed tomatoes to the pan, the honey and bay leaf. Throw the lid on and let it simmer on low for as long as you want. The longer the better. I let mine go about 2 hours. Then taste it, add another pinch of salt and pepper (if it needs it. it probably will).
In the meantime, boil the pasta until just al dente. Add the pasta to the pan and toss toss toss. omg.
Throw in a good handful of chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan. Give it another toss.
Serve with a nice green salad and crusty bread! And more cheese and parsley. Oh my gosh do that.
* you can always sub ground turkey, chicken or beef in place of lamb!