Braised Beef Ragu
Yield: Serves 6
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay
- 2lbs chuck roast, quartered
- plain all-purpose flour, for dusting
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 6 springs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lb tube pasta
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ½ cup basil leaves
- finely grated parmesan, to serve
Preparation: Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Dust the chuck roast in flour, shaking to remove any excess. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottom saucepan over high heat. Cook the beef on each side until brown, about 2–3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Reduce heat to low, add the remaining oil, onion, thyme and garlic and cook for 6–8 minutes or until softened. Increase heat to high. Add the wine and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, for 2–3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add the stock, water, tomatoes, tomato paste and anchovy paste, sugar and stir to combine.
- Return the beef to the pan, cover with a tight-fitting lid, transfer to the oven and roast for 2 hours. Remove the lid and roast for a further 30 minutes. Remove beef from the pan and shred the meat using 2 forks, discarding any fat. Return meat to the sauce and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente, about for 10–12 minutes. Drain, return to the pan with the beef sauce, salt, pepper and toss to combine. Top with basil and sprinkle with parmesan to serve. Serves 4–6.