Blue Crab and Tomato Quiche
This easy quiche will update your brunch routine. It also makes a great appetizer when made in mini muffin cups.
Yield: 6 servings
16 ounces Fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
6 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning mix, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 (9-inch) pie crust
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 large Florida tomato, diced small
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 lemon, juiced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, half and half, and 1 teaspoon of seafood seasoning.
2. Add half of the cheese, half of the crabmeat, diced tomato and 1 tablespoon of chives to the pie shell.
3. Pour the egg mixture over quiche ingredients. The egg mixture should only come up 3/4 of the way to the top of the pie shell. Add the remaining cheese to the top of the egg mixture. Bake the quiche for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center of the quiche is firm.
4. Remove quiche from oven and let cool slightly.
5. In a small mixing bowl, lightly mix remaining crabmeat (do not break up lumps), mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning, lemon juice and tablespoon of chives. Taste crabmeat mixture and adjust seasoning as needed with salt and pepper.
6. Cut the quiche into 6 portions and top each serving with equal amounts of the crabmeat salad mixture.