Black Cod with Salsa
Prep time: 40 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for tropical fruit salsa:
- 2 cups pineapple, chopped in small cubes
- 1 and 1/2 cup cantaloupe, chopped in small cubes
- 1 cup tomato, chopped in small cubes
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for white fish (black cod):
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound white fish (black cod, halibut, tilapia, mahi mahi)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1) Mix all chopped ingredients for tropical fruit salsa in a large bowl, add lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to let the juices combine together.
2) To prepare seasoning for the fish, mix salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, cumin in a small bowl.
3) Heat large skillet on high heat. Season fish on non-skin side with salt & pepper and other spices from step 2, generously. Add oil to the hot skillet: the oil should sizzle. Add fish to the skillet non-skin side down (skin side up) and sear for 4 minutes, moving the fish around the skillet to make sure oil coats the surface of the fish and that the fish is not sticking to the pan while searing.
4) After these 4 minutes, turn the fish over to the skin side and sear for another 3 minutes on high heat. After searing on the skin side, you can actually remove salmon skin easily at this point and discard, if you don’t like to eat it