BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Grilled Cheese
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, divided
- 8 slices good quality bread, such as sourdough
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated on the largest setting
- 12 thinly sliced pineapple strips (you could also use canned pineapple, sliced thinly)
- nonstick spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken breasts into an oven safe baking dish, spread 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over chicken; Coat chicken with sauce. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 2.Remove from oven and shred chicken with 2 forks. In a large bowl combine shredded chicken and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce; mix until evenly coated.
- 3. Taking 8 slices of bread, butter one side of each slice (only one side). Place bread butter side down, and lay all slices out in front of you. Spread 1/4 cup of cheese onto 4 slices of bread. On top of that cheese, spread one fourth of the chicken mixture onto each slice. Add 3 pineapple slices on top of the chicken, then top with the remaining cheese (should be about 1/4 cup on top of each slice). Taking the slices that have only been buttered, place them on top of the cheese layer, butter facing out. Press down with hand or spatula.
- 4. Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat and spray with non stick spray. Place 2 sandwiches butter side down on the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes or until browned. *Careful, they tend to cook fast on the second side. Repeat these steps until all sandwiches are cooked.
- 5. Cit sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
- Note: These can also be made in the crock pot: Spray crock pot, add chicken, BBQ sauce (1 cup), and pineapple. Cook for 4 hours on high. Remove chicken, shred. Follow directions above from step #3.