Caramelized Pineapple Grilled Cheese with Honeyed Walnuts
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Caramelized Pineapple Grilled Cheese:
- 6 (1/4-inch thick) slices of fresh pineapple (peel the pineapple before slicing it cross-wise)
- 8 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
- 8 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 8 tablespoons GO Veggie! Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese
- 8 slices GO Veggie! Lactose Free Mozzarella Slices
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 3 teaspoons water
- Cut each pineapple slice in half. Preheat a large dry nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the pineapple slices and cook until slightly softened and browned in spots, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pineapple to a plate.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread (butter side down) on a cutting board. Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese on top of each, and then top each with 3 slices of caramelized pineapple and 2 slices of mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining slices of bread on top (butter side up).
- Grill the sandwiches in a large skillet (or on a griddle) over low heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden on both sides.
- For the honeyed walnuts, add the walnuts, honey, and enough water to slightly thin it out to small saucepan. Bring up to a simmer over medium heat and cook 1 minute.
- To serve, transfer each sandwich