Makes 1 pie (approximate 25cm)
For the crust
1.5 packets of Tennis Biscuits
For the filling
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
1 tin condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp (just over 1/4 cup) cornflour/maizena
4 egg yolks
3 large bananas, roughly chopped
2 large bananas, thinly sliced
approximately 2 cups whipped cream
- Place the biscuits in a food processor. Process until they are completely broken up and there are no big lumps visible.
- Place in the bottom of a pie dish.
- For the filling, bring the milk, cream, condensed milk and vanilla to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cornflour and egg yolks.
- When the milk mixture is hot, spoon some of it onto the egg yolk mixture and whisk well. Pour the egg yolks back in the pot and allow to heat slowly while stirring constantly.
- The mixture will become very thick. Stir continuously to prevent the filling from burning.
- When the mixture is cooked through (no floury taste), pass it through a sieve to get rid of any lumps that may have formed.
- Mix in the chopped bananas and pour onto the biscuits. Place a piece of cling wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours until set.
- To serve, remove the cling wrap and arrange the sliced bananas on the pie. Pipe the whipped cream on top, grate some chocolate over (if desired) and serve.