Baked Brie with Cherries, Pistachios and Caramelized Honey
7 oz. Président Brie
1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/4 cup sour cherry jam
1 tablespoon flour
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1/4 cup chopped pistachios, plus a few more for topping
1 large egg, beaten in a small bowl (egg wash)
1/4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon water
Splash of lemon juice
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set it aside.
2. Slice the wheel of brie cheese in half, horizontally. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the chopped dried cherries and sour cherry jam. Set aside.
4. Lightly flour your surface with flour and roll out the thawed puff pastry to a 12″ by 12″ square. Using a 10″ plate as a guide, trim the pastry into a 10″ circle. Take the brie out of the fridge and place the bottom half of the brie in the center of the dough. Spread the cherry filling evenly on top of the half of the brie and sprinkle with pistachios.
Top with the other brie cheese half.
5. Fold the pastry over the brie, pressing to seal. Flip the brie over and brush it all over with egg wash.
6. Transfer to the oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Allow the baked brie to cool for 10 minutes (in this time the baked brie will also deflate – that’s ok!).
7. While the brie is cooling, let’s make the caramelized honey. To a small saucepan, set over medium heat, mix together the honey, water, splash of lemon juice and pinch of salt. Allow to simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until honey has thickened and turns a darker hue of brown. Turn off heat and pour over baked brie. Garnish with more chopped pistachios; serve with slices of apple and/or a variety of crackers.