Bacon Potato Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing
This satisfying bacon potato salad with a sweet and tangy mustard dressing borrows the best from a combination of a few favorite potato salad recipes.
Author: Barry C. Parsons
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: Serves approximately 6 - 8 as a side dish.
- 3 pounds washed, unpeeled red potatoes, diced large
- ½ cup jarred salad dressing (or mayonnaise if you prefer)
- ¼ cup plain yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 small red pepper, diced small
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped capers
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- 8 slices smoked bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- Simmer the diced potatoes slowly in boiling salted water just until fork tender. Do not overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart in the salad.
- Drain the potatoes and scatter them on cookie sheet to cool quickly. I usually put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a half hour or so to cool off completely.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except the potatoes.
- Pour the over the cold potatoes and toss well. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.