Aubergine, tomato & mushroom bake
Author: Alida Ryder
Recipe type: Vegetarian, Low-carb, Banting,
- 3 large aubergine, sliced into 1cm slices
- 150g mozzarella
- 100g Parmesan/Pecorino, grated
for the sauce
- 1 red onion, finely choppes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced (I used portobellini/chestnut)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes / 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brush the aubergine slices with olive oil and grill in a hot griddle pan for 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- To make the sauce, sauté the onion in a saucepan in a splash of oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced slightly.
- To assemble the bake, layer the grilled aubergine with the sauce and cheese in an oven-proof dish, reserving some of the mozzarella to finish the bake off with.
- Place the dish in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with salad/bread of your choice.