Apricot and Cheddar Chicken Melt
These sophisticated sandwiches are familiar enough for children. The chicken can be marinated tonight and broiled for dinner tomorrow. Pair it with a crunchy salad for a pleasant contrast between hot and cold.
- PREP: 15 MINS
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MINS
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), split horizontally
- 1 baguette (about 20 inches), split horizontally, then cut in half
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add chicken, and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes (or cover and refrigerate in marinade up to 24 hours).
Lift chicken from marinade, and place on prepared baking sheet; broil (without turning) until opaque throughout. Transfer chicken to a work surface; discard pan juices from baking sheet.
Place baguette pieces on baking sheet, cut side up; dividing evenly, spread with apricot preserves, and layer with chicken, ham, and then cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes.