VEGETARIAN SWEDISH GNOCCHI
SERVES: 4-6 servings
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 10 oz kale, chopped (equivalent of one large head)
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 10-12 baby bella mushrooms, finely diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ⅛ cup coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce or tamari)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme
- ⅛ tbsp allspice
- Begin by cooking the gnocchi. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and add the gnocchi. Let boil for 3-4 minutes, or until all gnocchi float to the top. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- Use the same pot to steam your kale.
- While the gnocchi are cooking, chop your vegetables. I very finely diced the onion and mushrooms, with the intent of providing flavor without bulking up the gravy with unwanted texture.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet, and add the cooked gnocchi. Let cook until the bottoms are golden brown, and then flip to brown the other side. (This step is entirely optional, but I really like the golden crust the gnocchi get when cooked this way!) Once browned, removed from the skillet.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter along with the onion and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the flour to coat the onions and mushrooms.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth, coconut aminos, allspice and thyme, and let it come to a simmer. Within 5-10 minutes, the gravy will start looking thicker and more gravy-like.
- Once thickened, stir in the cream. Let simmer 5 minutes longer to desired consistency.
- Add fresh cracked pepper to taste. (Depending on the brand of vegetable broth you use, you may need to add salt as well.)