TOMATO BASIL PARMESAN SOUP
4 hours 20 mins
Creamy and rich tomato basil and cheesy parmesan soup made in the crockpot! Comfort food at its best!
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream OR half & half
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and next 7 ingredients (through broth) to a slow cooker/crockpot. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low. (If you are home, give it a stir every now and then and scrape down the sides)
- About 30-40 minutes before serving transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, then return to crock pot.
- Prepare the roux. Begin by melting the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add flour to melted butter and stir until flour clumps up. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream (or half & half) until mixture is thickened and smooth. Add roux and parmesan cheese to crockpot and stir to combine.
- Allow to cook another 20-30 minutes until cheese is completely melted. Give it a good stir before serving. Top with additional basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
*recipe adapted from Let's Dish Recipes