THAI CASHEW COCONUT RICE WITH GINGER PEANUT SAUCE
For the Coconut Rice:
- 1½ cups dry jasmine rice
- 1 (15 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
For the Salad:
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- ¾ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cashews, finely chopped
For the Ginger Peanut Sauce:
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Water to thin
- Lime wedges
- Rinse the dry rice well until the water runs clear.
- In a medium-sized pot, mix together the rice, coconut milk, garlic, salt, and water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot reaches a rolling boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off heat and let sit (with lid on) for an additional 10 minutes.
- As you wait for the rice, make the peanut sauce.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine the peanut butter and honey. Microwave for 15 seconds, or until the peanut butter thins. Stir well. Add the ginger, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Stir again. Thin as desired with water.
- Fluff the rice and combine it with the chopped vegetables and cashews (I reserve a few whole cashews to garnish with, but it's not necessary). Drizzle with a bit of the Ginger Peanut Sauce and taste-- you most likely will not need to use all of it. Serve with lime wedges.