Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake Scones
Write a review
For The Scones
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cup milk (I used whole milk), scalded. Then cooled to the touch.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour (you may use all-purpose flour, but the measuring and texture will be slightly different.)
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil (or oil of your choice.)
For The Cheesecake Layer
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3.4 ounce) instant pudding package
- 3/4 cup milk (I use whole milk)
- 16 ounce fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
Making The Scones
- Combine sugar, salt, and yeast.
- Scald milk and add butter to the milk. (The scalded milk will begin to melt the butter and cool the milk down all at the same time.)
- Put milk mixture into a large mixing bowl when cooled until warm to the touch.
- Add the sugar, salt, and yeast to the milk and melted butter.
- Add the beaten egg and 1 and a half cup of the flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or with the hook attachment (I used my Kitchen Aid).
- While it is still mixing (on low), add one more cup of flour (you are at 2 and 1/2 cups of flour at this point).
- Continue to slowly add the rest of the flour until the dough is not sticking to the sides and the bottom of the bowl.
- It is ready to form a ball and put into a large greased bowl.
- Cover with a greased piece of plastic wrap and put into a warm spot with no cold drafts to rise to double in size (I use the inside of the microwave with a small bowl of hot water sitting next to the covered dough - the steam creates a warm area and speeds up the process with the rising dough).
- When the dough has doubled in size (takes about 20-30 minutes), begin heating your oil on medium heat in a large skillet (350 degrees).
- Carefully lay a piece of dough into the heated oil (you may do more than one at the same time. But do not over crowd the oil).
- Cook for about 1 minute on the first side and 30-45 seconds on the second side (it also depends on the temperature of your oil with the time you have on each side).
- Have a large plate (I use a baking dish) to set the paper towels in for the fry bread to drain all the excess oil off.
Making The Cheesecake Layer
- While the dough is rising, combine thawed whipped topping, dry pudding package, and milk in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix together for 3 minutes and set into the refrigerator until ready to put on fried scones.
- When fried scones are cooled to the touch, they are ready to spread on the cheesecake layer and place the sliced strawberries on top.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and enjoy!
- Makes about a dozen scones or 20 mini scones.