Steak, Spinach and Mushroom Crepes with Balsamic Glaze.
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
2 (4 to 6 ounce) beef tenderloin filets or your favorite cut of meat (you can also sub chicken or seafood)
freshly crack coarse black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic minced or grated
6-12 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
6 ounces fresh spinach
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
a pinch of fresh nutmeg
2-4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
fresh parsley, for garnish
blue cheese butter , for serving (optional)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- To make the crepes. Add butter to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk constantly until brown bits appear on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes, then immediately remove from heat and set aside. Combine all the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add the browned butter and pulse for 30 seconds or until well combined. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.
- Heat a 12 inch non-stick pan. Add butter or cooking spray (I like to use cooking spray) to coat. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. Makes about 10 crepes.
- To make the balsamic glaze, add the vinegar and brown sugar (if using) to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy. Remove from heat, pour the glaze into a bowl or glass to pour, and set aside to cool and thicken.
- Cook the steak via you're preferred method - I like to grill it or sear the steak on the stove. Heat your grill to medium high. Rub the steaks with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides and grill until your preferred doneness. I like mine about medium-rare, which was about 3-5 minutes per side (this depends on the thickness of your steak). If cooking the steaks on the stove follow the same directions. Remove the steaks and place on a cutting board. Let them rest 10 minutes before slicing against the grain into 1/4 inch strips.
- Meanwhile heat a medium skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons butter and toss in the mushrooms in a single layer. Don't stir them! Let them sizzle until they have caramelized on the bottom, about 2 minutes. When the bottoms are caramelized, toss them once and add the spinach. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Continue cooking about 5 minutes or until the spinach is beginning to wilt. Add the garlic and cook for about 10 seconds. Add the balsamic vinegar, and simmer until the mushrooms have soaked up all remaining vinegar. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- To assemble, layer a crepe flat on a plate and sprinkle on the spinach and mushrooms. Add a few slices of steak and a sprinkle of blue cheese. Fold the crepe up into triangles or little burritos. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and add a dollop of blue cheese butter if desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. YUM.