Spinach Tortellini Tomato Soup
Hearty, delicious, yet quick and easy tomato soup, packed with spinach and tortellini.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5-ounces each) Italian Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (12-ounces) frozen tortellini
- 1 bag (10-ounces) fresh baby spinach
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Combine olive oil and butter in a large soup pot; place over medium heat and cook until butter is melted.
- Add onions; cook for 2 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set heat to medium-high and stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil.
- Add vegetable broth; bring to a boil.
- Add frozen tortellini and spinach.
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and soup is heated through.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.