Southern Style Crab Cakes
These Southern Style Crab Cakes are simply the bomb. Serve with some Jalapeno Remoulade, and you will not believe how incredible these are. Truly something special.
Author: Donald Link
Recipe type: Seafood
Cuisine: Seafood / Southern
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 lb of top-quality lump crab meat
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ poblano chili, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon good chili powder (New Mexico or ancho is good)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- Several dashes of Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 scallion (white and green parts), chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Italian parsley, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¾ cup of fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- JALAPENO REMOULADE:
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 scallions (white parts only), thinly sliced
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place the crab meat in a large mixing bowl and carefully pick through for shells, then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, poblano, garlic, salt, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until the veggies are soft, but not browned - about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the veggie mixture to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Add the crab, the egg, mayo, mustard, hot sauce, scallions, parsley, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of the bread crumbs to the veggie mixutre.
- Using your hands, gently combine the ingredients.
- Using a 1-cup measuring cup, form the mixture into cakes, packing gently; they should resemble hockey pucks (in size) - about 2 inches thick.
- Cover the cakes and chill for 20 to 30 minutes, or overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the crab cakes, place the remaining ½ cup bread crumbs on a plate.
- Dredge both sides of each cake in the crumbs, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, but not smoking, fry the crab cakes for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Don't overcrowd the pan - fry in batches if necessary, adding more oil if needed.
- Serve immediately - with Jalapeno Remoulade!
- JALAPENO REMOULADE
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and place in the fridge until needed...or for at least 30 minutes.