Number of Servings:Makes 6 servings (3 meatballs with sauce counts as one serving)
On Nutrisystem, Counts As:2 PowerFuels
For the meatballs:
1 pound 93% lean ground beef
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cups kale, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs, beaten
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3 Tbsp. skim milk
½ tsp. red chili flakes
¼-½ tsp. salt
¼-½ tsp. pepper
For the sauce:
3 gloves garlic, minced
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes with basil
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to a large skillet. Heat skillet to medium-high. Add kale and garlic to the sauté pan. Sauté the mixture until kale is wilted and water has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk and breadcrumbs together until moist.
- To the large bowl add lean ground beef, Parmesan cheese, onion, kale/garlic mixture, eggs, red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to mix everything together and roll the mixture into meatballs.
- Gently form into 18 meatballs and transfer to a large baking sheet.
- Broil on second rack from the top until meatballs are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the slow cooker. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, and bay leaf.
- Carefully place the meatballs into the sauce, cover and cook low 4 to 6 hours or high 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaf prior to serving.