Shrimp, Avocado & Roasted Corn Salad
A favorite restaurant salad made at home!
- 2 ears of sweet corn, shaved off the cob
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled with tails on or off
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup grated Fontina cheese (optional)
- buttermilk pesto dressing (see below)
Buttermilk Pesto Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayo or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pesto, homemade or storebought
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
To Make The Salad:
Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the corn kernels and let them dry-roast for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until their edges begin to brown and caramelize. Transfer the corn to a plate to set aside.
Reduce heat to medium-high. In the same skillet, add the bacon. Fry for about 6 minutes, stirring ocassionally, until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the skillet.
Add the shrimp and saute until cooked and pink, about 2 minutes per side (depending on the size of your shrimp). Remove shrimp and set aside. (You're now done with your multi-tasking skillet!)
Assemble your salads by tossing together the Romaine, corn, bacon, shrimp and avocado. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
To Make The Dressing:
Whisk together all ingredients until blended. Season with salt and pepper.