SAUSAGE APPLE PUFF PASTRY BRAID RECIPE
Author: ©Amy Johnson | She Wears Many Hats
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- ½ cup dried cranberries, or dried cherries
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions, ½ of 17.3 ounce package
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly flour. Beat 1 of the eggs and water in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix remaining egg, sausage, apple, bread crumbs, cranberries, onion, rosemary and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended.
- Carefully unfold puff pastry and place on lightly floured parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut lengthwise into 2 rectangles. Create strips by making 1½-inch long cuts 1 inch apart down both long sides of each pastry rectangle.
- Spoon ½ of the sausage mixture down center of each pastry rectangle.
- Fold 1 pastry strip at a time over the sausage mixture, alternating sides, overlapping the prior strip to enclose sausage mixture.
- Lightly brush braided pastry with beaten egg and water mixture.
- Bake 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and sausage is cooked through. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Cut each pastry into 6 pieces to serve.
Create a meatless option by substituting 8 ounces sliced mushrooms and/or additional chopped onion for the ground sausage.
To prep a bit ahead of time, combine filling mixture, cover and refrigerate until ready to fill puff pastry.
Recipe discovered at McCormick