Rustic French Onion Soup w/ Red Wine
- -3 Tablespoons butter
- -6 large yellow onions thinly sliced
- -2 cups red wine
- -8 cups beef broth
- -1 sprig fresh thyme
- -Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- -1 loaf rustic bread, cut into thick slices
- -3 tablespoons olive oil
- -1garlic clove
- -8 ounces gruyere, finely shredded
- 1. In a large heavy pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Sprinkle some salt over the onions and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 2. Add the red wine and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- 3. Add the broth and the thyme and put a lid on the pot. Turn the heat to low and simmer 60-120 minutes.
- 4. Season to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the bread slices on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until golden- about 5-7 minutes. Take the garlic clove and rub it over the top of each piece of toast.
- 6. Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8