Cranberry Orange Variation:
When whisking the dry ingredients, add in 1/2 c. dried cranberries and zest from one orange. Stir in water and follow the rest of the recipe.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1-3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp yeast (I used quick rise yeast because that's what I had on hand, if you try this with active dry yeast, let me know how it turns out!)
- 1-1/2 c. water
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the water until a dough forms and no flour remains in the bottom or sides of the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temp overnight or 12-18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°. When oven is preheated, place an empty enameled cast iron Dutch oven (with lid) into the oven. Set your timer for 30 minutes. While pot is heating up, turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface and lightly knead the dough until smooth and not super sticky. Re-cover with plastic wrap.
- Once 30 minutes has passed, remove the Dutch oven from the oven and drop the dough ball in. DO NOT GREASE THE POT! Trust me on this, the bread will just slide out at the end. Put the lid back on and place back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for 5-10 minutes more until the bread is golden brown and crusty. Remove to a cooling rack.