Roasted Pineapple Rum Chicken
Tender chicken breasts roasted in a pineapple rum sauce. An easy to throw together weeknight supper.
- 2 lbs assorted chicken pieces like breasts, thighs and legs
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ⅓ cup Captain Morgan White Rum
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh pineapple, diced (canned is fine if you drain well)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325º. Place chicken parts in a 9x13 baker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium sized pot over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add brown sugar and onion. Cook for four minutes.
- Add the rum, peppers, pineapple, orange juice and soy sauce. Lower the heat to medium and allow to simmer for five minutes.
- Scoop out two Tbsp of the liquid and place in a small bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch until completely incorporated. Pour this mixture back into the pot and cook for another three minutes.
- Pour contents in pot over chicken breasts. Place in a 325º oven for 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 160º.
- Serve over rice or with plantains. Garnish with cilantro if desired.