How to Roast Beets
- 6 small beets or 3 large ones (red, gold or a combination)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees (204 C). Trim off the beet leaves and stems, if there are any. Scrub beets under running water and dry them well with paper towels.
- Place a double thickness of heavy aluminum foil on the counter, large enough to hold the beets. Place beets in the center, drizzle with oil, and wrap tightly. Place packet in the oven and roast until a sharp paring knife easily pierces the beets through to the center. Test beets at 45 minutes. Continue about 15 minutes longer if needed. Timing will depend on the size of the beets.
- Remove beet packet from the oven and cool. When cool enough to handle, unwrap and cut beets into quarters or smaller pieces. Beets will last 4-5 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
Serving ideas: Add beets to a tossed green salad with goat cheese (skip for vegans). Add orange segments, pine nuts, and chopped mint leaves for more color and flavor. Dress with a light vinaigrette made with olive oil and white Balsamic vinegar or Champagne vinegar.
To serve beets as a side dish, sprinkle with chopped chives and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.