Red Velvet Peppermint Bars
- Cake Bars
- • 1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- • 1 ½ cups white sugar
- • 3 eggs
- • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 teaspoon Loran’s Red Velvet baking emulsion
- • 1 oz red food coloring or 3-4 drops red gel color
- • 3Tbsp cocoa powder
- • 1 cup all-purpose flour
- • ½ teaspoon baking powder
- • ¼ teaspoon salt
- • ½ cup Andes peppermint baking bits
- • 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
- • ¼ cup butter
- • 1 tsp vanilla
- • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- • 2 cups powdered sugar
- • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- • 4 crushed peppermint disc candies
- • 4 chopped Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark squares
For the Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 F°. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla, eggs, sugar and red food coloring, Loran emulsion and mix until thoroughly combined. Mix in cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt until well blended. Finally fold in peppermint baking bits. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter and cream cheese at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Beat in extract and salt until well combined about 15 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl and add heavy cream. Beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 20 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.
- Spread frosting over cooled brownies, sprinkle with chopped Ghiradelli Peppermint bark squares and crushed peppermint candies. Cut into bars and enjoy! Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator.