Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: makes 6 large twists per pastry sheet
- 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry (mine was 320 grams / 11 ounces)
- pesto (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- grated cheese (I used a couple of big handfuls of parmesan and strong cheddar, plus a bit extra for sprinkling at the end)
- 1 whisked egg or a bit of milk for brushing
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 355F.
- Unroll the pastry out onto a floured board or work surface, then spread with the pesto.
- Sprinkle the cheese all over the pesto, then fold the pastry sheet in half (width-wise like a book, so that the shortest ends meet).
- Cut the pastry into six long strips (about 2 to 3cm wide – see picture above).
- Hold each strip at either end and twist, then lay each twist on a baking tray, leaving a small space between each.
- Brush each twist with a little milk or whisked egg, then sprinkle with a bit more cheese.
- Bake for 20 – 22 minutes or until puffed up and golden.
You can freeze these. Either freeze them uncooked on a baking tray before transferring to food bags (then cook as above, adding a minute or two to the cooking time if necessary), or freeze already cooked and then defrost and reheat for about 20 seconds in a microwave for a quick no-fuss snack.