Beet Pesto Pizza with Kale and Goat Cheese
1 hour 30 mins
Beet Pesto Pizza with Kale and Goat Cheese is never not a good idea. The slightly crisp goat cheese with the rich kale and nutty, creamy beet pesto is a match made in pizza heaven.
Author: Julia Mueller
Recipe Type: Main
Serves: 1-12" pizza
- 1 lb gluten-free pizza dough
- 1 cup beet pesto
- 2 cups kale leaves, thinly sliced*
- 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup red beets, chopped and roasted (about 1 medium beet)
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, roasted
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the beet and pat it dry. Chop it into ½” cubes and place it on a sheet of foil. Wrap the chopped beet in foil, making a foil packet.
- Place the packet on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 50 minutes, or until beets are soft and juices are seeping out.
- Allow beets to cool completely.
- Add all ingredients except for the oil to a food processor or blender and pulse several times.
- Leaving the food processor (or blender) running, slowly add the olive oil until all ingredients are well combined. If the pesto is too thick for your blender to process, add a small amount of water until desired consistency is reached.
- Prepare the beet pesto and the pizza dough.
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F.
- Dust gluten-free flour (or cornmeal) on a baking sheet and press or roll the dough to desired thickness.
- Bake the dough for 5 to 7 minutes with no toppings.
- Remove the crust from the oven and spread the beet pesto over it. Add the kale leaves, followed by the goat cheese and mozarella. Note: the kale will cook down in the oven.
- Bake pizza for 20 to 25 minutes or to desired crisp.
- Allow pizza to cool 5 minutes before serving.
I used lacinato (dino) kale