Parmesan Roasted Garlic Eggplant and Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage Lasagna Boats.
1 head garlic
3 medium size eggplants
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 pound ground spicy italian chicken sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
2 small zucchini and or summer squash, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop off the top portion of the garlic head to reveal cloves. Peel any excess paper/skin off from the bulb of garlic. Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil on top of the garlic cloves and cover with foil
- Rub the cut sides of the eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place both the eggplant (cut side down) and garlic on a baking sheet.
- Roast both the garlic and eggplant for 30-45 minutes, or until the garlic is golden brown and the eggplant is soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the sausage and break apart into small pieces. Brown the sausage all over, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet and set on a plate.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil to the skillet, add the onions to the pan. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the red peppers, zucchini and thyme to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for another 5 minutes. Simmer the sauce on the stove while preparing the rest of the meal.
- Once the garlic and eggplant have roasted, squeeze the garlic out of the paper skin into a small bowl and mash well with a fork. To the garlic add 1/4 cup chopped basil, crushed red pepper flakes and the parmesan.
- Flip the eggplants over and rub them all over with the garlic mix. Drizzle with olive oil. Place the eggplant back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant and top each half with the meat sauce. Try to stuff the meat sauce into the middle of the eggplant. Layer on the slices of mozzarella cheese. Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling. Serve warm with fresh basil and a side of pasta if desired.