Parmesan Pesto Tuna Melts
- 4 (2.5 oz) pouches Bumble Bee Premium Albacore Tuna or Light Tuna (you could also use 2 (5 oz) pouches or 2 (5 oz) cans)
- 4 TB mayonaise
- 4 TB prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced bread of choice (I used rye)
- sliced tomato, optional
- sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Empty pouches of tuna into a medium sized bowl and flake tuna with a fork. Add in mayonnaise, pesto, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Butter one side each of eight slices of bread. (You will only need to butter four slices if making an open-face sandwich.)
- Once skillet is warm, add one slice of bread to the skillet, butter side down. Immediately layer with one slice of cheese, 1/4 of the parmesan pesto tuna mix, tomato slices (if using), and another slice of cheese. Top with a second slice of bread, butter side up.
- Allow to cook, about 3 minutes, or until bottom slice of bread has turned golden brown. Flip sandwich with a spatula, and repeat on the other side. Remove tuna melt from skillet and repeat process to make three more sandwiches.
- For Open-Face Tuna Melt: Prepare sandwiches in an oven-safe skillet, using the same process as above, except for leaving off the top layer of bread when layering sandwich ingredients. Cook sandwiches until bottom slice of bread has turned golden brown. Turn oven broiler to high. Place skillet on middle oven rack, and broil for about 2 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted and dotted with brown. Remove skillet from oven and enjoy!