Nigel Slater's Coq au Riesling
I followed Nigel's recipe but amended the quantities slightly as I needed to feed my family.
Recipe type: Dinner, Entree, Chicken, Main,
- 50g butter
- splash of olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 125g bacon/pancetta, sliced into thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 chicken pieces on the bone (I used 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks)
- 250g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml Riesling (or dry white wine of your choice)
- 250ml cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- handful chopped parsley
- Melt the butter and oil together in a large pan.
- Brown the chicken pieces all over and remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and bacon and allow to fry until the onions are soft and translucent and the bacon has rendered it's fat.
- Add the garlic and allow to saute for another 30 seconds before removing the mixture from the pan (leaving the fat behind).
- Add the mushrooms and allow to fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and bacon mixture along with the browned chicken back to the pan.
- Pour in the wine and allow to come up to a boil. Turn down the heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- After 15 minutes, uncover, turn up the heat and add the cream. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley and season to taste.
- Serve with rice, pasta or crusty bread.