Mozzarella and Basil Puff Pastry Twists
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced/cut basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll dough into a 9x13 rectangle (measurement is only approximate). Using a pastry scraper or a pizza cutter, cut dough down the middle.
- Whisk together egg and water and brush the egg wash on each rectangle of puff pastry dough (only on one side) and reserve the leftover egg wash.
- Mix together the Mozzarella cheese, basil and Cayenne pepper and sprinkle mixture over one of the rectangles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the other half of the pastry (egg side down) on top of the cheese mixture and press the two halves together using your hands or roll lightly with the rolling pin. Gently press edges to seal.
- Using the pastry scraper or pizza cutter, cut the pastry into 1/2 inch strips.
- Working one at a time, gently twist each strip and lay on the baking sheet making sure to press down the ends so that they don't curl when baking. When all of the strips have been twisted and placed on the baking sheet, lightly brush each twist with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the twists are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
I prefer to use Mozzarella cheese when making these because it has a tendency to melt and become extra gooey. However, feel free to experiment with the cheese and herbs. The possibilities are endless when it comes to making this tasty appetizer/snack!