MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
Ham and cheese never looked so good. Try this easy Monte Cristo Sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Author: ©Amy Johnson | She Wears Many Hats
- 2 eggs
- pinches of salt and pepper
- 4 slices sturdy white bread (or white bread of preference)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ pound thick sliced baked ham
- ½ ounce, weight shredded gruyere cheese
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- optional garnish/toppings: powdered sugar, honey, preserves
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish (large enough to fit a sandwich) along with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches, with mustard, mayonnaise, ham, cheese, salt and pepper to personal preference. Slightly compress sandwich.
- Over medium heat melt butter in skillet.
- Dip and coat each sandwich in beaten egg, and place in skillet. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned to liking and cheese has melted.
- Makes 2 sandwiches.