Mini Loaded Potato Superbowl Footballs
Servings: about 20 individual servings
20 small red potatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Toppings: sour cream, cheese, chives, vegetarian bacon, etc.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, olive oil and salt together until coated thoroughly.
3. Place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or so, or until soft.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
5. Once cool enough to touch, cut a small slit in the top of each potato and gently scoop out a small portion of the flesh, discarding it.
6. Top each potato with your desired toppings and serve while still warm. (*I used a small piping bag fitted with a tiny pastry tip and piped sour cream directly into each potato for simplicity and ease.)
Source: Slightly adapted from Vegetarian Times, Readers’ Top-Rated Recipes, Special Edition.