Mediterranean Egg White Breakfast Sandwich
Author: Lorie at Mississippi Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¼ cup egg whites
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, rosemary
- 1 whole grain seeded ciabatta roll
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 1-2 slices muenster cheese (or other cheese such as provolone, Monterey Jack, etc.)
- About ½ cup roasted tomatoes (recipe below)
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small nonstick skillet. Pour in egg whites and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until egg is done, flipping once.
- Meanwhile, toast ciabatta bread in toaster. Spread both halves with pesto when done. Place the egg on bottom half of sandwich roll, folding if necessary, then top with cheese. Add roasted tomatoes and top half of roll. 1 sandwich.
- To make the roasted tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and roast in oven for about 20 minutes. Skins will appear wrinkled when done.
*Nutritional value was analyzed at www.myfitnesspal.com using my brands or brands in their database that were similar. Nutritional value can vary widely depending on the brand, so for the most accurate values, go to their website and use their analyzer with your brands.